The Veteran Aid & Attendance Program is designed to help families of veterans who require assistance with in-home care.  The program provides additional funds for helping families purchase the help needed to care for the veteran.  This care can be provided in the veteran’s home, or in an assisted living home.

To apply for the Aid & Attendance Improved Pension, you will need the following documents. Prepare these before filing.

  • Discharge/Separation Papers (DD-214). If you need to request military records, you can either fill out Standard Form 180 or, you can visit Full instructions on how to request military records is listed on that site.
  • Copy of Marriage Certificate and all marital information.
  • Copy of the Death Certificate (surviving spouses only).
  • Copy of current Social Security Award Letter (the letter that Social Security sends at the beginning of the year stating what your monthly amount will be for the following year).
  • Net Worth information, including bank accounts, CDs, Trusts, Stocks, Bonds, Annuities, etc.
  • Proof of all income from pensions, retirement, interest income from investments, annuities, etc.
  • If you are a court-appointed guardian of the veteran or surviving spouse, a certified copy of the court order of the appointment is required.
  • Proof of insurance premiums, medications, medical bills or any other medical expenses that are not reimbursed by insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid.
  • Physician statement that includes current diagnosis, medical status, prognosis, name and address, ability to care for self, ability to travel unattended, etc. If you are a veteran in a nursing home, or a family member of a veteran in a nursing home, you can use this form as a certification of that status: Nursing Home Status Statement
  • Banking information for Direct Deposit of A&A monthly payments (include a voided check).
  • Employment history (does not apply if you are over 65)
  • List of all doctors and hospitals visited in the last year Once you have this information compiled, you will need to obtain and complete VA Form 21-526 and/or VA Form 21-534 for Special Improved benefits with Aid & Attendance.
  • VA Form 21-526 (For Veterans)
  • VA Form 21-534 (For Spouses) If you need assistance with filing your paperwork, you can contact the VA. In mailing your application, we highly recommend that you send your completed application via “Return Receipt” to help avoid the potential of the VA stating that the application was not received.


  1. Pingback: AID AND ATTENDANCE PROGRAM — Veteran Speak – Coastal Life Advocacy, LLC

  2. Pingback: AID AND ATTENDANCE PROGRAM — Veteran Speak – Healing Veterans one step at a time

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s