Stress, even good stress, can take quite a toll on us. It is helpful to learn to recognize the signs that you are becoming overstressed so you can take steps to alleviate it.
Recognizing the signs you are feeling too much stress can require some self-monitoring. Some of the signs to watch for include:
- Tapping your foot repeatedly
- Grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw. This may occur most often in your sleep, but you will often feel the results in the morning when you wake with a sore jaw.
- Feeling anxious, nervous, helpless or irritable.
- Frequent accidents (we often rush too much when we are stressed).
- Forgetting things you usually don’t forget.
- Difficulty concentrating.
- Fatigue and exhaustion.
When you realize you’re feeling stressed, try to figure out what’s causing it. This is a good time to use your relaxation methods to relax.
If you know what’s causing your stress, that’s a great first step to dealing with it. You can begin to work on solving the problem before things get out of control. Remember, nicotine, alcohol, and caffeine can make the situation worse, so try to avoid them.
Use the techniques that work best for you; exercises, meditation, music, etc. If you find you remain stressed to the max, consider contacting a therapist or perhaps your spiritual advisor. Sharing the problem can often give you a better perspective on it or how to deal with it.